Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Teeth Cleaning
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shelley

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Teeth Cleaning Reply with quote

I'm in a predicament. I've never had to have my cats teeth cleaned before and I'm terrified because my male cat of 15 years is having problems with his teeth and the thought of having him put under so that they can clean his teeth scares me. Has anyone on this board ever been through this procedure with their cat? What was your experience? Am I worrying for no reason?
He will probably have to get a few teeth pulled as well. Sad
Purr

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had Blaze's teeth cleaned twice, once when I first adopted her, and then again about a year and a half ago. Blaze was showing signs of buildup and gum irritation. I just dropped her off at the vets office the day before after work, and picked her up after work the next day. Other than being a little groggy from the anesthetic initially, she was just fine.
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you decide to get your cat's teeth cleaned?
Shelley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still up in the air with it. I guess I'm afraid to have him put under because he is old. I read a story where a lady's cat passed away while having his teeth cleaned and it really freaked me out.
Part of it too is that I'm not 100% happy with the vet. I have to make a decision soon though before it gets worse. Crying or Very sad
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a tough decision, Shelley. Let me know what you decide.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is kind of old, and we are not sure if it is a good idea to put him under. It is not an easy decision.
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it's not. What does your vet think?
darskayairene

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot imagine how I would make my cat clean his teeth. Though, he has bad smell in his mouth and back teeth are yellow. Are there some special toothpastes for cats?
Purr

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are. You can check with your local vet office about toothpaste for pets.
Sammy's Mom

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vet wants to do this to Sam, but I say he's too old to take the risk of anaesthesia.
Shelley

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I finally made my decision after months and months of worry. I decided to have my cat's teeth cleaned. Sometimes when he wakes up there is a little spot of blood where he was resting his jaw on his paw. His little gums are swollen and he meows a lot. He's always been a meower but he seems irritated. I know cats are good at hiding when they are in pain so I can't tell. His appointment is tommorrow and boy am I worried! He is 15 but when his bloodwork was done they said you would never know he was and old guy. Plus he has been an indoor cat for many years so he is healthier now than when he was an outside cat and had to have one of his eyes removed.
Wish me luck. I know he will be fine but it will be a scary experience for us both Crying or Very sad
I'm going to get some of the tuna flavored toothpaste from petsmart and clean my other cats teeth so they don't have this issue. Rolling Eyes
Sammy's Mom

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw... good luck to shelley's kitty. All is well.
squirrel

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sure everything will be all right!
Shelley

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it was arough day but we got through it. I had to take captain to the vet on an empty stomach so no food since last night at 11pm. So of course this morning he was hungry. That was hard because this also meant taking up food from the other Kitties so that he couldnt get to it. They were all surrounding me this morning like a pack (small pack) of lions Confused
They had to remove 6 (ouch) teeth. I'm glad I did this because I know his teeth have been bothering him for some time now and it will help him to be healthier over the coming months.

Now the real rough part. We found out that he is in the early stages of Renal Disease. I couldn't believe this because his blood work was great around 9 months ago. I'm in a state of shock about this and I'm hoping it doesn't progress quickly and that he will stay healthy for years to come. They said I may have to start giving him fluids intravenously months down the road. Crying or Very sad

Other than this he is acting like his normal self. He came home and begged for chicken and after a nap he is now giving himself a bath. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: