Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

When You're Sick...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:11 pm    Post subject: When You're Sick... Reply with quote

When you're sick, how do your pets behave?

I've been at home recovering for the past 2 days with a case of food poisoning from Wednesday's lunch (grilled chicken salad from a national chain). I'm starting to feel like myself, finally. This afternoon I talked to my coworker who had lunch with me Wednesday (he had a deli sandwich), and he said he experienced an upset stomach.

Purr has barely left my side the whole time. She's stayed with me as I've tossed and turned both nights, only briefly leaving for food and water or to use the litter pan. She even stayed after I accidently rolled onto her tail last night around 3:00 a.m., all she did was growl to let me know something was wrong. And she's stayed pretty close to me during the day, when I finally got out of bed. She seems bound and determined to look after me!

Blaze hasn't paid that much attention to me being sick. Except, well, I did notice she was sleeping on top of the toilet lid this morning, so she'd be close by.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear you haven't been feeling well Purr! Sad

Your experience with Purr parallels many of my experiences with my two cats growing up. One of them would even start to lick my forehead, along the hairline, when I was ill in bed. Shocked
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling better today, although I'm still very weak. At least I made it in to work.

After I posted about Blaze, she did something yesterday afternoon that surprized me. She sat with me, on the end of the recliner, through most of a movie. She didn't budge even with I kept getting up for water and ginger ale. Maybe she wanted company, or maybe she thought I needed company, who knows? I guess what's predictable about Blaze is that she's unpredictable.
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:
Your experience with Purr parallels many of my experiences with my two cats growing up. One of them would even start to lick my forehead, along the hairline, when I was ill in bed. Shocked

Purr likes to lay near my face when I'm sleeping. Sometimes she'll curl up in my neck and shoulder and purr herself silly when I'm trying to drift off to sleep. Or, she'll drape herself around the top of my head, and purr herself silly. I don't mind, as long as she keeps her whiskers off my face (they tickle). She makes a darn good head cozy in the winter! Wink
squirrel

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're better Purr!

My male cat loves company... he'd stay close to any human being at any given time! He purrs like mad all the time and craves for attention... he loves sleeping near me (my head, my neck or my belly... sometimes behind me, near my bent knees... Smile )

The female is very independent... she rarely comes to crave for attention...

When I was sick they just went on with their regular behaviour... him on me (or near me) and her somewhere in the vicinity (on the bed, but far away from me).
Larinda McRaven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day a huge piece of MDF (really heavy type of wood) came crashing down. The corner of it stuck me right in the middle of the knee-cap and I fell over in pain.

I layed on the floor and cried like a baby clutching my knee. Isabelle, our dog, had never seen me cry before. She was beside herself trying to comfort me. She snuggled in as close to my face as possible and just kept pressing really hard against me. She had a horribly sad look on her face.

It was just like when you are little and you get hurt and your Mom holds you and rocks you to soothe you. Funny how dogs know when comfort is needed.
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope your knee is better, Larinda!
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch! I hope you're OK Larinda! How's your knee???
Larinda McRaven

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh it is fine. This was the day before we left for Ohio, so I was just nervous about it swelling, I kept it iced and elevated that night. It was easy to stay off it the next day since we were traveling and by the next evening all that was left was a bruise that was easy enough to cover with make-up and tanner. It didn't even hurt by day two, thank goodness.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2004 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, glad to hear that nothing worse came of that.
darskayairene

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately my cat does not feel when something is wrong with me. And as for my friend's cat, she says her cat always try to lie down on my friend's sick parts of the body and it really helps - she begins feeling better. Also when my friend cries, her cat always comes up to her and try to lick her face. I really miss it sometimes in my own cat.
Shelley

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cats come and stay with me if I'm in bed sick or if I'm crying. They are very aware. They just hang out with me the whole time.
bmason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not been sick in a long time but one cat would usually sleep on my bed when I was there but he normally likes to anyway so I don't know if there was a change or not. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: