Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Losing a Pet
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 12:06 pm    Post subject: Losing a Pet Reply with quote

This morning, during an English class I teach at a community center, a woman was telling a story of her miniature dachsund, Laura, who has a liver disease and seems to be quickly wasting away. She said the vet has her come to give the dog IVs several times weekly and has prescribed a couple of different medications. I asked her if the vet wasn't prolonging the poor puppy's death, as docs in this country are more concerned with making money than they are about their patients. I told her the story of my last kitty, Iroha, who had a kind of feline leukemia. He was more or less on his deathbed, and I was having to quit work mid-day and go home and medicate the cat & give him IV drips(I did this twice a day, by myself). Of course this drained my bank account at the time, but I would have given anything to keep my sweet kitty alive. The cat even looked at me with eyes that sid "Mom, this is enough" just wanting me to leave him alone to die. The vet said "Keep up the good work, and come back in two days" every time. My husband & I finally decided this was too much as I was crying myself to sleep every night and the cat was getting worse and worse, so the next day we decided to stop the death-prolonging medication, the IVs, and sure enough, when I came home from work the next day, he had passed away. I started crying at that lesson today thinking of my sweet cat & thinking how cruel that dachsund's vet must be prolonging her death, but the owner just says that she'll keep with it as long as she can. I wish for a miracle, as I know she will be as broken up as I was when I lost Iroha, but vets, as human docs should, be as honest as possible with their patients.
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the kind thing would be to let your pet go, when it no longer has any quality of life. I also don't believe in taking extraordinary measures to save a pet, especially if the pet is terminally ill.

I know of someone who spent several thousand dollars on treatment for her cat, which had cancer. The treatment made no difference, and the cat died anyway.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr wrote:
I think the kind thing would be to let your pet go, when it no longer has any quality of life. I also don't believe in taking extraordinary measures to save a pet, especially if the pet is terminally ill.

I know of someone who spent several thousand dollars on treatment for her cat, which had cancer. The treatment made no difference, and the cat died anyway.
Exactly. The woman's dachsund is no doubt suffering, and I think it would be best to end its misery. Funny, because my vet never even once mentioned putting my terminaly ill cat down. I had to bring it up. The human doctors here are more horrifying(I will admit some are excellent, the ones who have studied abroad, for example)- they won't even TELL you if you have cancer. I have been misdiagnosed several times("Oh, it's a cold" when I had the MUMPS, "Oh, you have allergies" when I had strep throat, etc) yet I can manage seeking PROPER treatment for myself, but I am no veterinary expert and it worries me, as I want the best, most competent person caring for my pets.
squirrel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad I am sorry for your pain, cocodrilo!

But I have a question for you, guys... if you let a poor pet, who is terminally ill, die or have the vet do the terminal shot to the pet, and you say it's ok, that the pet won't be suffering any more... what do you think about doing the same for humans who are suffering?

I am sorry if the question is too blunt... but this is how I feel about it: if someone is in great pain and the chances of survival are scarce, would you think dofferently if the "someone" is a pet or a human?
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel wrote:
Sad I am sorry for your pain, cocodrilo!

But I have a question for you, guys... if you let a poor pet, who is terminally ill, die or have the vet do the terminal shot to the pet, and you say it's ok, that the pet won't be suffering any more... what do you think about doing the same for humans who are suffering?

I am sorry if the question is too blunt... but this is how I feel about it: if someone is in great pain and the chances of survival are scarce, would you think dofferently if the "someone" is a pet or a human?

Nope. I think that practice, which is now legal in the Netherlands and is called "euthanasia" is a perfectly sane way to deal with terminally ill and suffering people. I am hoping the practice is legal in the future in case I become terminally ill. I certainly wouldn't want to sit there enduring pain waiting to die.
Purr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
Nope. I think that practice, which is now legal in the Netherlands and is called "euthanasia" is a perfectly sane way to deal with terminally ill and suffering people. I am hoping the practice is legal in the future in case I become terminally ill. I certainly wouldn't want to sit there enduring pain waiting to die.

I agree.
squirrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard of terminally-ill people who managed to survive... they fought the disease and won! Whatr would be the chances to win such a fight if we give up and want to be rid of the pain by dying?
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel wrote:
I heard of terminally-ill people who managed to survive... they fought the disease and won! Whatr would be the chances to win such a fight if we give up and want to be rid of the pain by dying?

Sure there are the rare cases like that, but they are the very few lucky ones. They have to go through a lot of pain, must rely on friends or family for support and spend a huge amount of money on hospital bills. I would never want to burden my family or friends with having to look after me and besides, there's only so much pain & suffering a person can take. The people who have chosen euthanasia have been told by doctors that their cases are terminal, there is very little or no chance of recovery, and have opted for this last-resort alternative way of ending their pain & suffering.
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: Loss Websites Reply with quote

Below are links to websites dealing with loss:

The Association for Pet Loss and Bereavement
http://www.aplb.org/

Pet Loss Grief Support
http://www.petloss.com/

Grief Healing
http://www.griefhealing.com/

Rainbow Bridge Home Page
http://www.rainbowbridge.com/
Sammy's Mom

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not always so cut and dried when it's your cat.

We thought we were going to lose Sammy in October, and he is still with us. Yes, we did have to spend a lot of money to keep him in the hospital for a while, to diagnose him and to bring back his electrolyte levels, etc.

So we have been giving him potassium and subcutaneous fluids, not so bad, not too expensive, and we still get to have him with us.

I don't think he is suffering.

It's a really hard question to deal with, and I think we should be more respectful of other people's choices. My boyfriend's brother keeps saying,
"let him go." We just can't.

I don't think we are going to "extreme measures."
We have a wonderful vet who is working with us.

And I am still petting my purring puddy today. Tomorrow? We'll see.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that Sammy is still purring with you. Smile
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry to hear that Sammy had been ill. I think you'll know if he's suffering, and no longer has any quality of life.

I hope he'll still be with you for a long time to come.
Sammy's Mom

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Jonathan and Purr.
squirrel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope the little Sammy is better... I wish him the best...
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please keep us updated on how Sammy is doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: