Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

How Did Your Pet Get Its Name
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:37 pm    Post subject: How Did Your Pet Get Its Name Reply with quote

So, how did you decide on a name for your pet? The way it looked? The way it acted? Just a funny name that seemed to fit? Enquiring minds want to know! Very Happy
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becket, my Airedale terrier, was named for St. Thomas a Becket, the one-time Archibishop of Canterbury whose defiance of his friend, King Henry II, led to his martyrdom.

It wasn't the martyrdom. I thought anyone with the chutzpah to stand up to an Angevin king would be a worthy namesake for an Airedale.
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My female cat is named by the previous owner... her name is Cori... Greek for girl... now we call her Tzitzica... sort of a nickname starting from the basic name

The male cat was named by my father... he had a different name when we believed he was a she! But now his name is Tzomby (a dog in a movie I think...)
salsachinita

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan, my Malamute-Husky was named for a couple of reasons.

"Michael Jordan" would be an obvious one, since he has looooong legs.

The real reason was that our previous dog, a 'Lassie', was called Paris. Two reasons also. Paris as in the city, since he was a glamorous dog. The real reason was Paris as in Troy.......the one who risked all for a woman. The name came to me in a dream after the dog found himselve with us.

So when we went to pick a name for the new puppy, we looked for nice sounding names in a World Atlas. Came to the country Jordan Cool ........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was single, I had two cats that I never named. I just called them boy and girl
Jonathan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
When I was single, I had two cats that I never named. I just called them boy and girl

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes ...oy!
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:

Laughing
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a hobby, I study a little bit of a lot of languages for travel, and have some special words I have "run into" on my adventures, so use them when I name my pets. My last cat was "Iroha", which means ABC, in old times, in Japanese. My two cats now are "Shishka", which is pinecone in Russian and "Pampelmousse", which is grapefruit in French.
Shelley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my cat Prissy was named by her previous owner (he cried when he had to give her up because his cat was having more kitty's!) The name really suits her because she is a beautiful cat and very well marked. Her paws remind me of Ice Cream Cones because they are white on the very end. She is so cute, fluffy, orange and short. Kind of like a little shag rug walking across the floor!
As for captain, when he found me, he struck up a conversation (he is still a great conversationists 10 years later. Meows my ears off!) and I decided I would call him Captain. Little did I know that he would loose one of his eyes to cancer a few years later Sad . It would be so cute to put a black patch on his eye. Kind of like a pirate. Aye Aye Captain Wink !
Eartha is another story. I once had a cat named Sky. I named her this because she had the bluest eyes of any cat I had ever seen. Well, when Eartha found David and me, she had greenish yellowsh eyes and she looked identical to Sky as far as her markings were concerned. I thought, "Sky, Earth... Eartha" Not only this but she has these brilliant beautiful eyes outlined in black and white and a cute little raspy growl. Needless to say, she is the ultimate Cat reincarnation of Eartha Kitt herself! So we refer to her as Eartha Kitty.....MEOW
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cute, Shelley- Eartha Kitty! Laughing So you are owned by THREE cats now?
Shelley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes three Very Happy They keep me occupied. I have Prissy in my lap now as I type. She is trying to stop me from typing so I can pet her. She tries to get on the key board and purrs really loud. She is so funny and quirky. I guess I should go. Really, I think she just wants me to get up and feed her a tiny piece of tuna. Well, actually I think she would like to get the whole can but, I wont go there. Wink
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze just loves tuna! Somehow she knows the tuna's coming, even just getting the unopened can out of the pantry. It must be kitty ESP. She knows she's getting her little treat. Wink
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd always wanted to have a cat as a pet. But, various circumstances prevented me from having one until I living on my own. Early spring 8 years ago I finally made to the decision to adopt a cat. I had a great time shopping at the pet store for supplies. It was exciting picking on toys, food, bowls, litter pan and everything else the new arrival would need. And, I already had in mind a name for the cat - Whiskers. Finally, the big day came when I went to the Humane Society to look for a cat. I brought home a tiny, little grey tiger kitten, about 4 months old, who was very friendly and happy to have a home. The trouble was, she just didn't look like a Whiskers. As she had a loudest, most frequest, purr I'd ever heard from a cat, I named her Purr instead. It was a natural fit. Purr is 8 years old now, and she still loves to purr. And what about those whiskers, or vibrissae as they are more formally called? I was looking at her face yesterday, and she has a plethora of whiskers, some white, some black, and a few both colors. It's almost like she has a walrus look going on, with all of them.

My other cat, Blaze, just showed up on my doorstep about 5 years ago. She had been abandoned by a former tenent in the apartment complex where I lived then. Blaze was mostly black, with a white belly, 3 white socks, a long white glove, and an off-center white blaze on her face. That blaze was her most noticable feature, so I named her Blaze. The name surely fits her firey personality. Blaze is 8 years old now, too. She's very friendly, and wants attention from everyone who comes to visit, especially any men. Somehow I imagine that if Blaze were human, she might be sometimes be like the Mae West "come up and see me sometime" kind of gal.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cuuute! Very Happy I imagined the picture you painted of your cats purrfectly!
squirrel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My male cat, Tzomby, loves to purr... he purrs continuously, when you start talking to him and when you lay a had on him... he's also very talkative... loves to meow... Smile

The female, TziTzica, is not very affectionate... she prefers to sleep alone (unlike Tzomby, who curls somewhere near my body) and she loves to bite and scratch (especially if she is not in the mood to be petted)... she meows sometimes, mostly when hungry... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: