Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Do You Wash Your Cat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Do You Wash Your Cat? Reply with quote

I give both of my cats a shower once or twice a year. It is ridiculously hot and humid here in the summer and I think the shower not only gets them really clean, but cools them off a bit. I had a problem this time as my cranky tiger cat didn't seem to "recognize" my calico after I showered her. She's finally able to get near the calico without hissing & growling(2 days later!!!). I guess I rinsed off her scent, and the tiger had no idea who this strange cat was! Laughing
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now and again I give Blaze a bath, when she needs it. Sometimes her fur gets a light case of dandruff, probably from dry skin. She tolerates the bath pretty well. I just put her in the shower under a light spray, or in the tub and scoop water over her with a glass. I use a pet shampoo and sometimes a pet conditioner, if I have it. While I'm not sure she exactly enjoys the experience, I think she likes getting toweled off afterwards, and then combed out when she's dry. She looks so pretty when she's done, and her fur is very silky and soft.

Purr, on the other hand, is a whole different story. She absolutely hates water, and I wouldn't dare risk putting her in water without fear of bodily harm!
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's actually fairly funny cocodrilo... thanks for the smile! Very Happy
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing funny, cocodrilo!
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to wash one of my cats a long time ago, and since decided it is a job for the pros. The only reason I see to wash a cat would be to address a bad flea situation, in which case I would take them to the vet. Otherwise, cats know how to clean themselves.

My white cat recently got in the fireplace, and many parts of him turned gray, especially his paws. Laughing We wiped him off really good, but didn't try to give him a bath.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to a book I have, "You Cat's Life" by Joanne Howl, D.V.M., it says cats don't need a bath very often(they state once a year or less). hairless breeds have oily skin, thus need to be bathed as often as once or twice a week. Show cats are bathed before every trip into the ring(***I used to show cats as a kid, and we never bathed our kitties so frequently! Groomed them contantly, though!). It also says that many medical conditions -such as allergies, fleas, and ringworm, can be treated by bathing. And if a cat walks in poison(oil or antifreeze, for example) a fast bath may actually save her life.
Purr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I gave my cat a bath the other day ... they love it. He sat there, he enjoyed it, it was fun for me. The fur would stick to my tongue, but other than that . . . "

- Steve Martin

(Ok, I'll admit it, I'm on a quotation kick today. Wink )
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"She was fascinated by baths. I suppose total immersion in water must have seemed to her a peculiar method of cleansing oneself."

- Elizabeth Peters
squirrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe... I gave my cats a bath yesterday! I had to, as I discovered a flea on the male... don't know where it came from... Sad... but it did! So I bathed him first... he was struggling to escape, but didn't hurt me... he was meowing hard and didn't like it... not even the toweling part Sad

She on the other hand went ballistic! She was hissing and growling... Sad It sounded like a wild cat, a tiger or something!
Then I realised she wasn't being violent... she was just plain scared! I mean, she had her paws free and could have done a lot of damage, but she just kept her paws really close to her body and kept on growling and hissing... I felt pity for her, she seemed to be really scared... Sad
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squirrel-
I think the cats are grateful for you washing them! They must be fluffy, flea-free and nice-smelling now!
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are fluffy but don't smell so nicely... that shampoo stinks!
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel wrote:
They are fluffy but don't smell so nicely... that shampoo stinks!

It does? Regular pet shampoo doesn't smell. I didn't know flea shampoo did. Well, at least the cats are fluffy and flea-free.
Bluecat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do You Wash Your Cat? Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
I give both of my cats a shower once or twice a year. It is ridiculously hot and humid here in the summer and I think the shower not only gets them really clean, but cools them off a bit. I had a problem this time as my cranky tiger cat didn't seem to "recognize" my calico after I showered her. She's finally able to get near the calico without hissing & growling(2 days later!!!). I guess I rinsed off her scent, and the tiger had no idea who this strange cat was! Laughing

I now.
I have 2 cats.
I wash my cat once in a month.
Bath i dont put she into the shower.
Take a plastic behinder.
Take a little from cat or baby shampoo.
Take that in the behinder, and fill it with shower.
Take the cat, make she wet.
Take once again a little from shampoo.
Shampoo the cat.
and put she slow into the behinder.
Now, make a massage from she, and than make slow shower on she.
But be careful, cats can be very angry when you try to wash.
Sorry, i cant write english very good i study english just for 3 years, but i trymy best.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bluecat-
You must have the CLEANEST cats in the world! They get a bath once a month! Please let me know what you mean by "behinder". Is it a "basin"? A little plastic tub? Don't worry about your English, this is not a test! Laughing
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
Don't worry about your English, this is not a test! Laughing

Exactly! We're happy to have you here... and, hopefully, we'll provide you with the chance to practice your English skills as well!

[Besides, I guarantee you that your English is better than my Croatian! Shocked Embarassed Laughing ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: