Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Are dogs man's best friend...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:57 pm    Post subject: Are dogs man's best friend...? Reply with quote

There have been some stories in the newspapers here lately about dogs attacking people, especially small children...

How is this behaviour in line with the belief dog's man's best friend...?
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the breed and the circumstances. Also on what counts as an "attack."
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm talking about pittbulls... and they attacked and hurt badly some small children... one was eaten by the pittbull... Romanians started to develop a fobia about these dogs...
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eaten? That sounds very doubtful to me; you might want to check your sources.

It's very hard to make pit bull terriers aggressive. Because they were used for so many years in dog fighting, they're very inhibited about biting people. Owners would stick their hands in between two fighting dogs and separate them. Pit bulls, as you know, are not likely to be used in police work--softer dogs like German Shepherds are.

That said, almost any dog will chase a moving object. And dogs bite, for a variety of reasons. But predatory behavior directed against a child? I've never seen an example of it, and I'm well acquainted with pit bull and vicious dog legislation in the US. Mostly the press corps gets hold of a story and sensationalizes it.

I'm not saying this to diminish a tragedy--but to say that those tragedies might be better understood if they weren't subjected to the sensational tendencies of the press and the Internet. Do you have a URL or a source for the stories?

Almost all the bull breeds, btw, are among the most cuddly breeds you can find. If you want a dog who will curl up with you on the couch, and who always wants to touch, get a pit bull.
squirrel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was a pittbull!

and there have been a lot of stories like this in my country... aggressive pittbulls... I cannot give you any links 'cause they're all in Romanian!

really, such dogs are used for fighting in this country (as you said) but they are overly aggressive!
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Raluca-

I don't mean to sound preachy, and I'm not saying that aggression toward people never happens--but this is something I've had to struggle with for years as a dog trainer. Internet myths and sensationalized news stories spread lots of misinformation and hysteria which is unfounded, at least as far as the breed as a whole is concerned. Individual cases of aggression are not always reliable guides to the breed.

Here are some sites you may find interesting. This first is about pit bulls and children:

http://pitbulls.iwarp.com/photo.html

Then there's the American Temperment Test Society, an independent organization that looks at temperment by breed, compiled statistically:

http://www.atts.org/

Or you may want to check out Bay Area Doglovers Responsible About Pitbulls (BAD RAP):

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/myths.cfm

These are just a few sites. Dogs are dogs, and the way some people get nervous about pit bulls is similar to the way some people think that black people (especially young black men0 may be criminals or that Italian men must be in the mafia or that Romanian women are all fascinating vampires. It's stereotype.

All I'm saying is if you meet an individual pit bull, you may want to give the dog a chance. All most of them want is what most other dogs want, to be able to love and play and be with people.

Pomeranians, on the other hand, are another matter entirely.... Wink

xo

Genesius
squirrel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look... I wasn't trying to imply they should eradicate pittbulls ... I don't like them (I mean the way they look) but I don't like other races either, and it has nothing to do with how aggressive they are... I don't like small breeds... or Dobermans... but it's a matter of taste... I like Rottweilers and Golden Retrievers and Jack Russel terriers and many others...
I know it's the fault of the owners when dogs attack... they are trained to do so and any rapid or seemingly-threatening move will drive them to one's throat... I just gave the pittbull example because this is what irresponsible people did in my country... trained them for dog fights!
If you ask me, I would torture those insane creatures!!! I cannot even call them humans! They take a dog who can't tell right from wrong the way people do, and then put him through hell to teach him how to fight! I understand it when people fight... it's a choice they can make! But dogs can't choose! And the owners who do this should suffer slow and painful torture!
Sorry, but I cannot help it... I hate those who treat animals badly... !!!
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's pretty sick what people do to their dogs. I think you can tell a lot about someone based on how s/he treats her animals. People have rights and they're protected by and large. The way to tell what people are really like is not how they treat other people all the time but by how they treat animals--where they can get away with a lot more.
salsachinita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. That's one of the tell-tale signs I look for in a friend/potential SO...... observing how they are around animals/small children/people with handicaps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
juicysweet

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: yes Reply with quote

I believe dogs are mans best friend. Yes some attack, but they are just protecting there teritory and masters. They have reasons. Wink
dTas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the dog is just an extension of its owner.

so if you have a vicious dog... what does that say about the owner?

1 female rottie and 1 kitty
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Pets Forum juicysweet and dTas! Very Happy Very Happy
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Pets Forum juicysweet and dTas! Very Happy
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr wrote:

Is it just me or is it deja vu all over again? Laughing
Purr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:
Purr wrote:

Is it just me or is it deja vu all over again? Laughing

Laughing Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Dogs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: