Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Letting Cats Outside

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Letting Cats Outside Reply with quote

I have heard and read many times that letting your cats outside shortens their life. I'm sure their are exceptions, but we keep our cats inside. That way they avoid things like flees and ticks, as well as nasty stuff like Feline Leukemia and Rabies. We do feel sorry for not letting them out sometimes, but I think overall they are quite happy animals. What do you think about letting cats outside?
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understood you can vaccinate the animals against diseases like the ones you mentioned..

No, I do not let my kitties outside... I live in a block, on the 10th floor, so they'd have trouble getting in and out... besides, they are not used to this and are very afraid...
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the record, growing up we ended up with two cats... one who adopted us (its true! Laughing) and one we inherited. The one who adopted us went outside almost her entire life and, towards the end, the vet said she was the oldest living cat he'd ever seen. Shocked
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

wow... how old was she...?
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, good question! Keep in mind that since she adopted us we were never sure of an exact age. I'll ask my mom later tonight what the vet thought and I'll let you know...
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, maybe she wasn't so very old after all... and I realize that I'm not really sure what the average cat's life span is anyway. As far as our outdoor cat, she was close to 22 years old.
squirrel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is OLD for a cat to be!!!

geeesh...

I guess the life span is around 10 - 15 years...
Jonathan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we're just good at having old cats then... because our indoor cat, the one we inherited, almost made it part way to 21.
squirrel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, cats' life span is short... especially if they're allowed to go out... this is probably because they are so curious and nosey... and they get hit by cars, or eat poisoned food or are killed by other animals...

But if they live indoors mostly and have good lives... it allows them to live longer...
Purr

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both my cats, Purr and Blaze, are indoor cats. Purr doesn't like to go outside at all - if she ends up outside, she stands by the door and mews until she's let back in. Blaze likes the outdoors, so sometimes I'll let her out for short, supervised periods of time.
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have cats anymore, but I did while I was still married. We kept our cats inside. The vaccinations are not 100% effective against FIV, and there are always cars, and dogs, and other cats, and poison, and who knows what else. We always maintained a cat friendly environment, with lots of perches and cat trees and scratching posts (to save the furniture). And our cats lived full, happy lives.

Cheers,

Genesius
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a huge porch on the upper level and our cats love to go out there. We let them outside but keep an eye on them. There have been 3 incidents so far. Prissy climbed up the railing and up on the roof twice. I had to get the ladder, the carrying case and the treats. I got her to come to me with the treats, stuffed her in the carrying tote, and then handed her down to my wife. The other incident was Captain who jumped down (about 11 feet) so he could chase a female stray. We caught him almost immediately. Anyways, we still let them out (on the porch) and watch them as carefully as possible.
squirrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to let the window open for my cat to be able to look outside while she was home alone! But not anymore! She jumped out of the window when we were away. Thanks God we were living on the 2nd floor!!!
My roomie told me she didn't find her when she got home from the club and she went down to look for her... I did the same the next day, checked all the surroundings and basements with a flashlight... called for her... I was crying my eyes out! And the worst part was that we had to move out in 5 days! I knew cats come back, but I was afraid she would come later and find nobody!
Thank God I found her in the yard of the block 3 days later! She was more or less ok, I mean she had suffered no major damages... her paw was hurt, her jaw was a little hurt too but otherwise she seemed fine! I called the vet and she turned out to be ok, scared and all... but ok!
Eversince, my cats are not allowed on the windowsill anymore...!
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a horror story! I'm glad everything turned out okay!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: