Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

SOS
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:20 pm    Post subject: SOS Reply with quote

I was playing with my cat Blaze today, petting her, when I noticed something peculiar. She seemed to have some odd lumps on her belly. So I rolled her over and checked it out. She's got about 4 little lumps under the skin, around one of the nipples. She cried out when I touched the skin.

I'm gong to call the veterinarian tomorrow, and make an appointment for this week. I'm not certain what this might be, but breast cancer (yes, cats do get this) and stomach cancer are coming to mind. I had a friend whose cat was diagnosed with stomach cancer, and she died within a few months of the diagnosis.

Blaze is a tuxedo cat, mostly black with a white belly, 3 white socks, 1 white glove and an off-center blaze on her face. She has green eyes. The veterinarian thinks she's about 8 years old, but we're not for sure because she was a stray that just showed up on my doorstep 5 years ago. Other than the lumps, right now she seems fine. She's eating well, and she had a great time this morning playing soccer with one of her pom pom balls.

Has anyone had an experience with a cat with similar symptoms?
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No related experiences here Purr, sorry! I hope Blaze is OK though! Embarassed
Purr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me, too. I'll keep posting on what happens.

_____

"Our animals shepherd us through certain eras of our lives. When we are ready to turn the corner and make it on our own...they let us go."

-- Anonymous
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do.
squirrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that! Please do keep us posted!
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made an appointment for Blaze at the vet for 5:30 p.m. today.
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze & I got home the vet a little over an hour and a half ago. The vet is pretty sure the 3 tumors are cancer. She said it was common in cats that are spayed over 2 years of age; the risk is then the same as for humans. The vets says right now she's fine, but if we do nothing the tumors will spread, probably rapidly. The prognosis is then maybe 6 months to a year. If so do surgery now, it will prolong her life.

I'm dropping Blaze off Wednesday evening at the vet, and she'll have surgery Thursday. The vet is going to do an incision, and she says she'll take out all the tumors she can find, along with plenty of surrounding tissue. Blaze should be able to come home Thursday evening. She'll have stitches, and she'll have to have an e-collar for awhile. The vet says she'll remove the stitches in about 2 weeks.

The vet says there's a chance the cancer will come back, on the other side. I'll deal with it when/if it happens. For now, this is all I can do. The office visit today was $34, and the estimate I got for the surgery was $307. I've no idea what vet costs are elsewhere, but that seems pretty cheap for adding time to Blaze's life.

I'll post again after the surgery.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear that it is cancer but glad to hear that you managed to catch it fairly early on. Those vet fees don't sound bad to me either, and more than worth it for a beloved pet. Best wishes to Blaze for a fully successful surgery, a speedy recovery, and long lasting health thereafter.
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2004 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry Blaze has to go through surgery, but I am sure everything will be fine afterwards. Yes, the fees are high in terms of money, but nothing is too expensive to save Blaze's life! I am sure the two of you will play together for many years to come! I wish her a rapid recovery!
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I dropped Blaze off at the vet today at 5:45 p.m. She's staying there overnight, free of charge. With my work schedule (I'm ususally at work by 7:00 a.m.), it's just not possible for me to drop her off in the morning.

The vet says she can't have food or water tonight, in preparation for the surgery tomorrow. That sounds just like people surgery. She'll have the surgery in the morning, and the vet says I can pick her up tomorrow late afternoon to take her home.

I'm taking Friday off from work to stay home with her. It was a little awkward explaing to my supervisor why I suddenly requested the day off, but she has 2 cats so she understood.

I've been wondering what the other cat, Purr, thinks is happening. I'm sure she knows the Blaze is missing, but I haven't seen her search for Blaze yet. Or maybe she's just unconcerned. It's hard to say. I wouldn't say they are the best of friends, but there's no open hostility either.
squirrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of something sad...
My best friend has a tomcat, 12 years old black and white.
He had always been used to being 'an only child' Wink , but one day my friend found a small kitten (kittycat) and brought her home. It was love at first sight! They played and ate and slept and did everything together. He would take care of her as if his own child!
But a couple of months later she fell off the balcony and died! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
My friend was in tears... she loved the kitty! But you should have seen the tom cat... he kept on looking for her and calling her...! He finally got used to being alone... but I still think it's sad!
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is sad...the tomcat was pining for his lost friend. Crying or Very sad

Purr was moping around this morning, so I think she misses her friend Blaze. I always think it's cute when I see them both on the sofa in the sunroom. They each curl up on their end of the sofa, like bookends.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately the two cats I had growing up *never* learned to get along... they would openly hiss, growl, and take swipes at each other... Crying or Very sad
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blaze came through the surgery just fine. Very Happy

The vet removed 5 tumors from her belly. The incision is about an inch long, and held together with 3 stitches. It doesn't look as bad as I thought it would. She goes back in 10 to 14 days to get the stitches removed.

Blaze was so happy to get home. When I pull the car into the garage, she started pawing at the carrier door to get out. She checked out the house, got a bite to eat, drank a sip of water, and then laid down. She's been mostly laying down since; I think she's still a little drugged out from the anestehetic. But, other than the glassy look in her eyes, you really wouldn't think she had surgery today. That is, unless you saw her belly. Sad

Purr's reaction to having Blaze back in the house is not what I hoped it would be. Purr's initial reaction was to hide under the sofa in the sunroom. Then she checked out Blaze from a safe distance in the living room. Now Purr's hiding under the bed in the second bedroom while Blaze is lounging about in the living room. I'm just going to leave well enough alone for now.

The vet bill for today was $263.17, less than the original estimate. It includes $12.05 for a soft Elizabethan collar, which I haven't yet put on Blaze. If she doesn't bother the stitches, and so far she hasn't, I may not.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that Blaze pulled through like a champ. My guess is that as the incision starts to heal it will become ichy, which is when the collar may be needed.

Ass far as Purr's reaction, I'm not at all surprised. Animals can be so sensitive... I'm she realizes that, even though Blaze is back, something is not quite right; this will probably start to shift a bit after the drugs run their course.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: