Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

old dog training the new

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dTas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: old dog training the new Reply with quote

my current dog is getting old (going on 12 years now) and i'm wondering about getting a new puppy.

does anyone have any experience with bringing in a new puppy into a house with an old dog? i've heard that its good for the puppy to learn from the existing dog.

any success stories? or horror stories?

1 female rottie and 1 kitty
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the dog. Becket will also soon be 12--he loves puppies, and there's a lot of stuff he can teach a new dog. Especially dealing with the routine--puppies can learn from watching.

I think also it's very important not to seem to favor the new puppy. You need to make it very clear that top dog is still top dog--he's earned his place over 12 years, and from all that he's put into it. What that means in a practical sense is by all means crate the puppy when you can't deal with him, and take your other dog on individual walks and stuff for him. Make it clear to him that the puppy is mostly for *him* and not for you.

Finally, you know your dog's personality best. Choose with him in mind.

Best,

GR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Dogs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: