Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Pregnancy & Cats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject: Pregnancy & Cats Reply with quote

Pregnant women need to be aware that toxoplasmosis can cause problems with pregnancy, including abortion. Toxoplasmosis is an infection caused by a parasite called Toxoplasma gondii. The parasite is carried by cats and is passed in their feces. However, people are more likely to get toxoplasmosis from eating undercooked meat or gardening than from contact with their cats.

Here are some tips than pregnant women can follow to reduce the risk of getting toxoplasmosis from cats.

Arrow Have a someone else change the litter box every day. If there is no one else to change the litter box, wear gloves and wash your hands with soap and running water after changing the litter.

Arrow Clean the litter box every day.

Arrow Keep your cat indoors.

Arrow Avoid handling stray cats.

Arrow Feed cats only canned or dried commercial cat food. Do not feed cats undercooked or raw meat.

Arrow Do not bring a new cat into your house that might have been an outdoor cat or might have been fed raw meat.

Source: Center for Disease Control website
lily

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for these words of advice Purr!

Do you or anyone else on this forum know if there is still a risk if the woman is immune to toxoplasmosis? I tested immune before becoming pregnant yet my gyno still advises me to be cautious. I have 3 cats and when my husband is away on business I have to change the kitty litter myself. I wear gloves and wash my hands and I will continue to take these precautions just in case, but surely if I am immune, there is no need to worry Question

Lily
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would still be cautious, and follow the doctor's advice. I always wash my hands with anti-bacterial soap after cleaning the litter box.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: