Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Kitty Litter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Kitty Litter Reply with quote

Does you and your kitty have any preference as far as cat litter? Clay? Sand? Or other products made from wheat or recycled newspapers?
squirrel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my cats have no preference... just for the litter box to be clean!
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my cats like that too. But, what really gets me is that I think they wait until I clean the litter plan up, and then afterwards they have to go. Confused

My cats prefer the grainy, sand type litter. I've tried the wheat based litter product, and neither me or my cats liked the consistency. It smelled funny, too. One time I bought the recycled newspaper based litter product. What a waste! Neither cat wanted anything to do with it.
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, immediately after I have cleaned the litter, they have to go!!! Shocked And I have to clean again! Evil or Very Mad
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to use the World's Best Cat Litter for my cats.
Purr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen that particular brand of cat litter before. I checked the website, and it's sold at a few speciality pet stores here in town. How much does a bag of litter usually cost?
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using a cat litter made from pellets that are made from the leftover processed scraps of wood products(namely, the fir tree). The pellets are fresh-smelling, completely natural, and although it costs a bit more ($1 a bag more) I am helping with recycling and my livingroom gets a nice, piney smell whenever my cats take a leak! It is MUCH better at masking odors(especially a cat's #2!!!) than conventional clay litter!
Purr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Controlling litter box oder is a problem. I've tried a couple of litter box additive products specifically for that, but nothing works better than a box of Arm & Hammer baking soda. It's effective & cheap, only about $.49 to $.59 a box. A box lasts for a while, too.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the wood bi-product litter is not available there? I ought to send you a sack. It's truly fabulous. No smell whatsoever!
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not seen that type before, although it may be available at a specialty store.

Purr & Blaze prefer the sandy type cat litter. I usually buy Tidy Cat, Arm & Hammer or Scoop Away cat litter at the local supermarket - whatever is on sale and preferably I have a coupon for. I may buy the Tidy Cat or Arm & Hammer odor control additives, again, if they're on sale and preferably I have a coupon. Otherwise I'll just use the Arm & Hammer baking soda as an additive if the smell gets too bad.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to pick up some litter & they were OUT OF the usual stuff I buy(wood-bi-product pellets 100% Japanese fir) so I bought some "Poplar wood pellets imported from America". On the bag it said it's good for rabbits & squirrels, too! Only drawback was that it cost $7 a bag! (My usual stuff is $5.30) I figure it's worth it as it's a recycled wood product, smells good and doesn't leave powder all over the place like the clay stuff does.

CORN David? That's really interesting and I bet it's safe for the cats! I've never seen it here. Does it control odors? One thing I like about the fir pellets is that my living room always smells like there's a Christmas tree in it!
Shelley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Worlds best cat litter usually costs around $20 for a LARGE bag. But, it lasts a long time. Longer than most commercial brands. I really am pleased with it. It is made from corn...interesting
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelley wrote:
The Worlds best cat litter usually costs around $20 for a LARGE bag. But, it lasts a long time. Longer than most commercial brands. I really am pleased with it. It is made from corn...interesting

Does it control the smell? I like the fir pellets because they control the smell naturally, no chemicals added and the house actually smells good!
Shelley

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprisingly enough, it does control the smell. If it does start to loose control of the smell, I add a little bit of fresh litter after scooping and this does the trick. But, mostly it just smells like......well, corn Smile
I have in the past used the litter made from cedar pellets as well. I have never used the recycled newspaper litter though.
When I was younger, I used the Fresh Step cat litter for my cats, but, the dust was out of control and irritated my asthma. So I thought this can't be good for them. The only low dust clay cat litter I have managed to find (when I can't get to the specialty store) is Tidy Cat Crystals Blend. This stuff is awesome for a store brand. So I sometimes switch to this in a pinch.
lily

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Catsan for my 3 cats. It's great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: