Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

I'm Feeling Guilty...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: I'm Feeling Guilty... Reply with quote

As you might know from reading the SOS thread, I recently lost my cat 9 year old cat Blaze to cancer. I still have my 9 year old cat Purr.

Here's the issue. I'm starting to think that I would like to adopt another cat, as a companion for Purr & me, sometime in the near future. Is this wrong?
dTas

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no... i don't think this is wrong. why would it be wrong? what kinds of guilty feelings are you having?

eventually you have to get a new pet. its not a replacement and will never be your old pet. its a new friend.

1 female rottie and 1 kitty
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I think there must some sort of mourning period for Blaze. Like, if I got a new cat within the next few weeks, it wouldn't honor her memory because I didn't wait long enough. Does that make sense?
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr-
I think it may help Purr feel less lonely if you got another cat. I know people grieve & grieve(you will never get over it! You will always remember your sweet kitty, but grief eventually changes to pleasant but bittersweet memories) but I do not think pets mourn. She might appreciate a new member in the family.
Peor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think it makes sense, Purr. Like with every loss, people tend to feel the need to mourn for a certain amount of time. If they wouldn't they would be tarnishing the memory of the lost loved one, because they are that quick over the loss.

Many people feel that way and it is right, for a part. People need a bit time to go through the fact that the loved one is gone, won't be coming back and a bit of space to grief and let the emotions go. But for everyone the mourning period is different. Some people are quick to get over it, not because they don't miss their loved ones, but purely a matter of that they recompose themselves with more ease and feel they need to go on. Other take a longer time, because they don't have the strenght/will to get through it and have a different personality that can cause them to mourn longer. Not necessary grief more, but longer.

There does not exist a appropriate time for mourning. Everyone is different and every situation is different.

Do as you wish Purr, when you feel like it. But don't feel guilty.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Peor!
darskayairene

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think I'm cruel or something else, but in this case we must understand that animals regard the fact of death plainer than people. It is the law of nature. Compare two situations: if a human mother is separated with her children at any age, she is disconsolate and when a female cat feels her kittens are grown-ups, she is glad to get rid of them. She has already brought up a litter and she is ready to give birth to another one. So, I think in this situation it would be even better for this cat to receive a new friend. This will interest him and cheer up.
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I don't think my cat Purr cares if she gets another cat companion or not. I think she enjoys being the only cat, and she seems content. She certainly been more interactive and lively than she's been in a long while. It's kind of comical to watch her cruise the bathroom sink, or hop up on the toilet lid, or even explore the tub, while I'm getting ready for work in the morning. She greets me when I come home from work, wants petted and a treat, and she likes laying in my lap or laying beside me in the evening when I watch tv or read. And she definatley wants to be there if I take a nap! Wink
tanya

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that buying a new cat is a good idea.
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Pets Forum, tanya! Very Happy

You might be right, another pet might not be a good idea at this time.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And when you do decide to get one, why not adopt one instead of buying one? Too many unwanted and abandoned pets out there. In my prefecture alone, 10,000 cats & dogs were destroyed last year! Both my kitties are adopted.
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: