Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Feeding Ducks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Feeding Ducks Reply with quote

My wife and I used to really enjoy going down to the lake to feed bread to ducks, until we found out there are lots of reasons not to do it.
1) The bread expands in their stomach, and they lose their appetite for more nutritious foods.
2) If the feeding is done in one area repeatedly, there tends to be a problem with mixing of dung and food leading to avian botulism
3) If you take your dog with you, the ducks may become accustomed to feeling safe around animals, and then not run away when real predators are around
4) The ducks may not fly South for the Winter, because they become dependant on humans, and then when it is cold and the humans are not around, they may die.
5) If a lot of bread sinks to the bottom of the lake, it can get moldy and cause chemical changes in the water that cause problems for all of the wildlife and fish that live in the lake.
6) Ducks will start to eat other things that look like bread including styrofoam.
7) They will get overfed, and can literally drown in their own fat.

They say that it is best not to feed ducks at all, and if you are going to do it, to use cracked corn.

I hope this wasn't too disturbing, but I wanted to make sure people realize the harm they can cause by feeding ducks.
Peor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Feeding Ducks Reply with quote

I knew it wasn't good to feed ducks, but not for the reasons you mentioned. It's very informative. I only knew that if ducks are fed, they don't go searching for food anymore (they already have their belly full) and go kill time by mating... Yeah, sounds strange, huh? But when ducks mate they tend to pull out the feathers out of the neck of the females, leaving them with ugly bold spots, if it happens too often.

Sounds weird, but I once saw a woman on tv, explaining that as reason why you shouldn't feed ducks...

But I think your reasons sound better as explanation, David Smile
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Important information there David, and much of it translates across to feeding any wild animals as well!
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also went down to the apartment leasing office armed with this information, and ask them to either print our article in the newsletter or post a sign not to feed the ducks.
salsachinita

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:
it translates across to feeding any wild animals as well!

Yep, we have a famous parrot-feeding spot where colourful parrots come landing on you to feed........for similar reasons, not allowed to do it any more.

We also got possums begging for food around the parks in the city Shocked .....! They are cute but can scrach & bite. Luckliy we don't have rabis down here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

salsachinita wrote:
....we don't have rabis down here.

You don't??? Shocked

Wink Laughing
salsachinita

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jonathan wrote:
salsachinita wrote:
....we don't have rabis down here.

You don't??? Shocked

No, and we'd like to keep it that way Cool !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES- great post! I hate to hear about scuba diving expeditions where the guide will "chum" with human food(like frozen peas) which are NOT good for sea life! The locals in Hawaii never stop short of reminding visitors of this! Let the fish eat what fish should eat. If you don't spot any fish on your dive, go again on another day!
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
If you don't spot any fish on your dive, go again on another day!

Yes, or, at the least, feed them food that's natural to them! Mad
bmason

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jimmy cracked corn and fed it to the ducks. Laughing

Last edited by bmason on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
darskayairene

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm, I never thought feeding ducks is harmful. Very informative article. And it is very good you are going to print it in the newspaper.
bmason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darskayairene wrote:
Hm, I never thought feeding ducks is harmful. Very informative article. And it is very good you are going to print it in the newspaper.

I did not think it did anything either because so many people do it. Any idea if the same goes for seagulls? I used to feed them when it would rain and they would hang around public areas.
darskayairene

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmason wrote:
darskayairene wrote:

I did not think it did anything either because so many people do it. Any idea if the same goes for seagulls? I used to feed them when it would rain and they would hang around public areas.

I think most of the points refer to seagulls also.
bmason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darskayairene wrote:
bmason wrote:
darskayairene wrote:

I think most of the points refer to seagulls also.

Well I have not done that in over 10 years but it was something that came to mind. I don't think most people do it to hurt them, I think they are just trying to be nice.

I would hope anyway
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: