Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

overweight pom on a diet, but now has dry coat

View previous topic :: View next topic  
petlover

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: overweight pom on a diet, but now has dry coat Reply with quote

I have my 6-8 year old Pom (he was a rescue so we're not sure of his age) on low calorie food. He weighed over 12 lbs and should weigh about 8-9. I can tell he's lost weight, maybe a pound or so. I have him on California Natural because of allergies. He likes the food (he likes ALL food!) and has no allergy symptoms. BTW, I've owned him for about 3 years.
The problem is that his coat has become dry and somewhat thin (for a pom). His skin looks fine, but last time the groomer said so much hair came out that she didn't even clip him. His coat is definitely not nearly as nice as before I switched his food. At first he was eating regular California Natural lamb and rice but I noticed a difference in his coat even then. He's been on the low fat for about a month.

I know I can give him Linatone or something, but won't that just add calories? It seems to me that adding oil to his diet will defeat the purpose of the low fat food. I also give him a half tablet of Pet Tabs vitamins each day. Is there anything else I can add to his diet that will help his coat without packing on the pounds?
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linatone is a daily food supplement is packed with essential oils and vitamins which may help reduce shedding, scratching, dull coat and flaky skin. The main ingredient is linoleic acid, a fatty acid. Linatone is manufactured by Lambert Kay (www.lambertkay.com). There are 3 main products: Linatone (separate formula for Dogs and Cats), Linatone Shed Relief (separate formula for Dogs and Cats), and Linatone Plus Skin & Coat Revitalizer for Dogs and Cats.

I checked the Lambert Kay website, but I couldn't find any information regarding calorie content of these products. None of the online pet distributor websites had any information beyond the basic ingredient list.

Linatone might be a good solution, at least in the short term. You'll be able to tell if your pom starts gaining excess weight. Is it possible your pom might have a dry coat due to the winter season? Might a humidifier in the house help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: