Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Cleaning Fish Tanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Fish (& other aquatics)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Cleaning Fish Tanks Reply with quote

I tried to get a fish tank, but my wife insisted they are difficult to maintain and take a lot of time to clean. I was wondering if their might be a solution to my dilemna. Is there a more modern, "self-cleaning" tank?
Larinda McRaven

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a 55 gallon tank. It is HEAVILY planted (which presents it own set of problems), but that takes care of cleaning for the most part. The light and nutrients that make algae grow are the same ones that make the plants thrive, so algae is replace with healthy plants. Fish wastes are nutirents and should not be removed. I doubt there is any easy tank, but this one is fun and a ittle less hassle than regular tanks.

You could also get a betta in a small tank. Since they origianlly are from small dirty water holes they actually do well with less intervention.
Peor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish tanks are always quite some work to maintain. I remember that when I was a younger Peor, a friend had a fish tank she cleaned while I was at her home. She had to take care of the pebbles, any other objects, the plants, the fish and so on. It wasn't a huge job, but the carrying around and removing and putting back in again was the most trouble.

Compared to dogs and cats, it is much more effort then the pleasure you get from fish, in my opinion. But then again, I never was much of a fish lover (not even as food Wink).
oxford

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I have refined our tank cleaning methods now to take less than 1/2 hour to clean our tropical fish tank of approximately 60 litres (about 13 gallons). The biggest time saver is the algae cleaning of the glass. This used to take forever using the scour pads supplied by our local pet store. Then I discovered razor scraping. Using a plastic mounted razor blade, we scrape the inside surface of the glass clean. The fish love the algae and eat it and the tank comes up sparkling clean. Wait about an hour then clean the filter and vacuum the tank. All up we can clean the tank in less than 1/2 an hour and we only need to do it every 3 or 4 weeks. Occasionally we will scrape the tank fortnightly depending on the build up on the glass. Hope this helps anyone out there.
Purr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, oxford! Welcome to Pets Forum! Very Happy
Jonathan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr wrote:
Hi, oxford! Welcome to Pets Forum! Very Happy

Ditto!

And thanks for the advice!
sagitta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone just told em yesterday that every 2 weeks they empty the water until it is 3 inches high, and replace it with chlorinated tap water. NOthing happens to their cichlids as they are tough!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Fish (& other aquatics) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: