Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Vaccination
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darskayairene

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Vaccination Reply with quote

Do you vaccinate your pets? I never vaccinated my cat. He never goes outside, so I hope everything will be ok.
Purr

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr gets vaccinations every year. Although, I'm a little late getting her to the vet this year. Embarassed
darskayairene

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr wrote:
Purr gets vaccinations every year. Although, I'm a little late getting her to the vet this year. Embarassed

Is it necessary to vaccinate a cat every year? Shocked I didn't know. I thought it was enough to vaccinate him in the beginning of his life and that is all.
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The vet says every year. I think it might be a state law that the rabies shots be up to date.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaccinate my cats every year, once a year. My former kitty died of something similar to feline leukemia which probably could have been prevented by a vaccination. He never went outside. The vet says that visitors can bring germs and that childrens' hands are especially dirty(well, they touch everything, don't they?!) I would definitely advise getting your pets vaccinated on an annual basis. I would not want to go through losing a pet like that again.
darskayairene

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
I vaccinate my cats every year, once a year. My former kitty died of something similar to feline leukemia which probably could have been prevented by a vaccination. He never went outside. The vet says that visitors can bring germs and that childrens' hands are especially dirty(well, they touch everything, don't they?!) I would definitely advise getting your pets vaccinated on an annual basis. I would not want to go through losing a pet like that again.

Yes, you are right. But it is very problematic for me to take my cat to the vet hospital. I don't have my own car and it is rather difficult carrying him to the hospital in a basket. When he fell down from the 5th floor, I took him to the hospital. But it was such a "no end of trouble"! He was caterwauling all the time and besides, he was rather heavy.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you love your pet, you will find a way and take the time! Very Happy
darskayairene

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
If you love your pet, you will find a way and take the time! Very Happy

Yes, you are right. I will try to find time to bring him to the vet.
bmason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We take our cats regularily even though they are indoor cats. It is mildly amusing during the car ride because they meow and it is almost like they are saying "error". Laughing

I feel bad because I know they don't like it but it does sound funny. Especially when the ones who do it are the ones that act like the pretty boy, nothing bothers them most of the time cats.

Last edited by bmason on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Purr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr is a major pain to take to the vet. She'll meow unhappily the whole trip. Just about always, she has an "accident" in the carrier on the way. Then, I have to clean up the carrier, and sometimes her too, at the vet office.
bmason

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr wrote:
Purr is a major pain to take to the vet. She'll meow unhappily the whole trip. Just about always, she has an "accident" in the carrier on the way. Then, I have to clean up the carrier, and sometimes her too, at the vet office.

I don't think we ever had that problem. That must not be fun but for a cat the car trips can be scary.

Last edited by bmason on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My calico's quiet but my tabby-tiger "errors" all the way to the vet, in 2-second intervals. It's pretty bloody annoying when you're trying to concentrate on your driving...
bmason

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cocodrilo wrote:
My calico's quiet but my tabby-tiger "errors" all the way to the vet, in 2-second intervals. It's pretty bloody annoying when you're trying to concentrate on your driving...

My one cat that does it all the time is a tabby and is stripped like a tiger but not colored like one. Maybe it is common with tabby's. Wink

So you get the "error" to huh? Laughing

Last edited by bmason on Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, actually she's brown with black stripes. She has white chops like a tiger, though... Very Happy
darskayairene

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found such info on vaccination:

All kittens, even indoor pets, need to be vaccinated. Some viruses travel through the air and people may be bring viruses into your house on their clothing or shoes. There is also the risk that an indoor kitten may get out or that a disease-carrying cat may wander into your yard or house. Your veterinarian will provide routine vaccinations for feline distemper and upper respiratory disease (rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and pneumonitis). In additional, ask your vet if your kitten should be vaccinated against Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV) and Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP). The initial rabies vaccination is also essential and should be given sometime between 3-4 months, depending on state regulations. Remember that most vaccinations must be given over a period of time and require multiple veterinary visits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: