Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Seven Steps To A Happier Pet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Seven Steps To A Happier Pet Reply with quote

Arrow Make sure your pet wears an identification tag to enable him to be returned to you if lost.

Arrow To prevent animal behaviorial problems, make sure you enroll your new puppy or dog in behaviorial traning classes and visit www.petsforlife.org.

Arrow Animal behavioral probems can be health related. Make sure your pet has a complete medical exam by a vet at least once a year.

Arrow Prepare for disasters. Make sure you have a plan for your pet in the event of a hurricane, tornade, fire or flood.

Arrow Plan for your pet's future in case something happens to you.

Arrow Lean how to avoid dog bites, and how to prevent your dog from biting by going to www.NoDogBites.org.

Arrow Have a heart, be smart, and make sure your pet is spayed or neutered. Definately! Wink

These suggestions were from The Humane Society of the United States; I thought they were good. With identification, one thing to look into is microchipping. My cat Purr won't tolerate wearing a collar of any kind, (basically, she goes ballistic), so she has a microchip id tag instead. The vet inserted the microchip around the scruff of her neck, just like getting a shot. Purr hasn't suffered any ill effects from the microchip.
Sammy's Mom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purr, may I ask how much this microchip costs? Did your cat try to scratch at it or anything? It doesn't bother her at all?
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, so I don't remember the exact cost. I think it was nominal. Purr has had no reaction to the microchip whatsoever, at least that I can tell.

The microchip was manufactured by AVID (www.avidmicrochip.com). AVID stands for American Veterinary Identification Devices. Basically, it is a small computer chip, with a unique identification number. Once an animal is injected with the chip through a hypodermic needle, the animal can be identified throughout its life by the unique number. The microchip is generally injected between the shoulder blades deep under the skin. A scanner is used to send a radio signal through the skin of the animal to read the chip. The animal feels nothing as the scanner is passed over him. Animals can be injected with the chip as early as two months of age.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: