Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Adopting Rather than Buying

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Adopting Rather than Buying Reply with quote

There are many good reasons for adopting a pet rather than buying one from a store or a breeder:
1. Buying a pet can cost from $500 to over $2000, while adopting is usually in the range of $50 to $175. Generally, if you adopt from the city shelter it costs less than from a rescue group that may have spent more money on boarding, grooming and veterinary care.
2. Mixed Breeds Live Longer - It is a fact that mixed breeds live longer and have fewer vet bills. Pure bred animals can be prone to health problems ranging from breathing problems to an enlarged heart.
3. Pet Stores usually do not provide a history on the animal. Generally, a rescue group takes good notes on the animal and even study it for a short period before offering it for adoption.
4. Adopted pets can be every bit as loving, and many are genuinely appreciative for the new home you provide. They also might already have some training (ex. potty trained).
5. If you are able to capture and adopt a a cat or dog in your area that is running wild, you are helping to prevent them from multiplying. It really helps when you can adopt them, have them checked by a veterinarian, and then spayed or nutored.
dTas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

totally agree!

all my pets have been either humane society or pure bred rescue.

1 female rottie and 1 kitty
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree as well. I adopted Purr from the local Humane Society for a nomial cost, that included a certificate to redeem for spaying. She was just a tiny, malnourished kitten, very happy to have a home. Blaze pretty much showed up on my apartment door step.

If (or maybe I should say when) I adopt another cat, it will be another in need of a home.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both cats I had growing up were adopted. The frist was a stray off the streets and the second was from the humane society after it had been injured inside a car motor.
Peor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, agree Smile Adopting a pet is satisfying for the soul Wink And why not, really? Adopting is the thing to do Cool
Logan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as mutch as I like my animals, I just can't make myself pay 400$ for a pet. I would rather save that 400$ for the next vet trip. You can get fine animals by adopting them.
bmason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our cats have all been from broken homes where the owners did not want them anymore. Some of them are scared of most people because of whatever they went through but some are very happy to be where they are now. Adopting from the humane society is a chance to do something good because most of those pets have had a poor life whereas pet store pets probably had it better.

I don't think most of the cats we have would be alive today if we did not take them in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: