Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Snakes...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: Snakes... Reply with quote

I love snakes... don't know why... Confused

Do you find them scary/disgusting...? I think they're interesting creatures...
bmason

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not mind them as long as they are not aggressive. I remember when we went camping a VERY long time ago when I was a kid my brother found a small snake that was not a threat and I would watch as he held it and let it slither around. It was kind of neat. I would not call them disgusting but I always will assume they will be a threat so I would not go near them or anything unless told otherwise. There was another post on here that mentioned that snakes are 99% successful when striking and I do not want to be the recipient of that. Smile
darskayairene

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Less than 10% of over 3,500 known species of snake are venomous.
- All sea snakes, although air breathing, can stay underwater for up to 2 hours.
- The Inland Taipan has the most potent venom of any terrestrial land snake in the world.
- Tetrodotoxin blocks sodium cannels causing rapid paralysis, however it leaves the victim completely conscious. For example, in 1962 a Haitian man claimed he heard himself being pronounced dead and placed in a coffin before being buried. Later, he was dug up by voodoo sorcerers but escaped when the zombie master was killed. He returned home to his native village some 16 years later and proved his identity with information only the real man could provide. Very strange!
- A single milligram of tetrodotoxin, the amount that can be placed on a pin head, is sufficient to kill an adult.
- Tetrodotoxin is 10-100 times as lethal as black widow spider venom, and when administered to mice was found to be more than 10,000 deadlier than cyanide.
- The venom from one sea snake is sufficient to kill 3 men.
- Octopuses have the ability to escape out of a hole the size of their eye, which is also the size of their brain.
- Sea snake venom is 2-10 times as venomous as terrestrial snakes.
- Funnel web spiders are only found in Australia, but are very aggressive. Beware Arachnophobics.
- Australia is the only country in the world in which the number of venomous snake species outweighs the non-venomous species. So be careful in planning your next holiday!
bmason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darskayairene wrote:
Funnel web spiders are only found in Australia, but are very aggressive. Beware Arachnophobics.

Laughing How did that get in with the snake information? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Reptiles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: