Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Rabbits as pets...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Rabbits as pets... Reply with quote

I had a rabbit when I was little, so I don't quite remember... are they hard to tend...?
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think rabbits are pretty well behaved. Most people I know that have rabbits put them in a cage at night. I'm not sure the reason for this.
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm, when was the last time you heard of a house broken rabbit David? Laughing

That seems like reason enough to me!
squirrel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has a cat (white Persian) and received an Angora baby rabbit as a present... the cat got soooo scared she would hide under the bed and refused to come out for 2 days... Shocked Shocked

After that, she and the rabbit got along well... they would play together and eat out of the same plate!!! Confused Shocked
Jonathan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel wrote:

After that, she and the rabbit got along well... they would play together and eat out of the same plate!!! Confused Shocked

Ummm, what were they eating? Shocked

Last I checked rabbits liked alfalfa pellets and such whereas cats tended to be more carniverous in their eating habits, no?
squirrel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes... I have no idea what they were eating... let me ask! Smile
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, rabbits can be housetrained very easily, if they're spayed or neutrered. You use a litter box--there's all sorts of stuff about it, as well as diet.

Go to

http://www.rabbit.org/

This is the homepage for the House Rabbit Society (located in SF East Bay for the national headquarters). Hope I'm not breaking any rules on links!

Cheers,

Genesius
salsachinita

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago I felt in love with a cute baby Dawf Lopped-ear rabbit in a pet shop window! He was cleaning his face with his paws & that expression was priceless Razz .

I soooooo wanted to take him home but my Malamute/husky by that time was already too grown-up to think of rabbits as playmates Crying or Very sad ..........
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jonathan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my old roommates had a Dawf Lopped-ear... very cute indeed! Very Happy
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised. Rabbits can be quite pushy--when we first got some of our bunnies, the beagles were quite intimidated by them. It probably depends on how well your dogs interact with cats and stuff. Becket would never hurt a rabbit or a cat I brought into the house, but he would chase them outside!
salsachinita

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I know they are pushy!

If you put them in the same cage as Guinea Pigs the poor things get bullied by rabbits Shocked !

The worst injury I've ever sustained from an animal, was caused by a rabbit Shocked ........I was working as a volunteer at my local RSPCA (animal shelter) in Year 10 (freshmen, senior high in US terms?).

I was cleaning the cages and had to move some animals. Instead of picking up this big male rabbit by his scuff of the neck (like one should) I grabbed him by the belly with both hands. Mr. Rabbit was not impressed so he kicked/clawed the heck out of the back of my hands Mad !

To make matters worse, I didn't really have time to clean/wrap my open scratches, so they got infected & took a few weeks to heal Sad (this place treated animals alright, but human apparantly don't belong in the animal kingdom Rolling Eyes ).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Genesius Redux

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just try to mess with a girl bunny's stuff. Most of our boy bunnies were little sweet love bugs. The girl bunnies were tough as nails. We had one, a lop named Melissa, who had the sweetest little face--but if you started to mess with her stuff while she was in her cage, she'd growl and charge your hand!

Out of all the bunnies we've had, Melissa was the one I remember the most and most fondly. Guess I just like assertive girls. Laughing
bmason

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We used to keep the rabbits in a cage most of the time since we had cats as well and did not want them to interact the wrong way when no one was looking. We did let them out frequently to run but we found alot of the time they would come out for a bit but then go back in. Confused Or they would just come out and sprawl out on the floor.

I miss those guys. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Rabbits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: