Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Having Cats and Other Small Animals

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:00 pm    Post subject: Having Cats and Other Small Animals Reply with quote

I was in the pet store today looking at the lizards and the hamsters, and I really thought they were cool, but I wasn't sure if it would be such a good idea to get them since I have 3 cats. Has anyone done this?
squirrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cats would attack anything that moves, so... Smile
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend that had a cat and a hamster, and the arrangement seemed to work ok. She had a special ball that she could put the hamster in, so she could let it outside its cage and the cat wouldn't be able to get at it.
cocodrilo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my kitties would think anything smaller than them and furry I brought home would be something to dismember.
Peor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about hamsters, but rats can be kept with other animals.

Here a pic of a rat with a dog (it's a too large pic, so I will post it as a link): http://www.evolvingtype.com/teddy/archives/images/Berkeley%20Dog%20and%20Rat.JPG

Of course, not alway a rat can be kept with other animals. Just like you can't always keep dogs with cats and vice versa Smile

The main thing is keeping the pets seperated and keeping a watchful eye on them, if you let them out. Perhaps making a sort of boundary so that they can't go to each other. You can take multiple sorts of pets but you have to very catious, as you know Smile
bmason

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have had birds which were hung from a cage so they were safe but also had rabbits we kept in a cage which they sometimes tried to stick paws in to get at them but the rabbits would defend themselves in the cage so the cats did not do much.

If you get a hamster you would probably keep them in a cage and the bars are usually very close together to keep the hamster from getting out let alone a paw getting inside to do any harm I would think. The most the cat would do in that case is watch, maybe sit on the cage but if the cat will pry and try to get at it just make sure the cage is not on something that it could be knocked off like a table and fall because then the cage could break and then the cat would get them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: