Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

cat scenting problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dTas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: cat scenting problem Reply with quote

i didn't read through all the threads (just the titles) but i didn't see anything about cat scenting.

i have 2 cats (they don't like each other) one cat is mine. i have had her for 10 years. the other is my girlfriends, he's almost 4.

my cat has seen a lot of animals come and go. she used to live with 2 other cats, up to 3 other dogs and currently there's my rottie Samba who she's been around for 9 years now.

well now with the introduction of my GF's cat, Moo (he's white like milk). my cat, Porche, has taken to urinating in places she should be; bed, kitchen, bathrooms. both cats are indoor/outdoor with their own cat door, plus they use the dog door. all animals go outside to do their thing.

does anyone have any suggestions? ideas? theories?

most of the time the cats are civil to each other. they can co-exist in the same room as long as they're at least 2 feet away from each other. they share the couch to sleep on (one at each side). Moo tries to play with Porche but she'll have nothing to do with it. hiss's and runs away.

i don't know for sure that it is Porche that's urinating, i haven't actually seen either cat do this but its in areas that Porche usually patrolls.

help?

1 female rottie and 1 kitty
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cats usually spray like that when they're upset about something. In this case, I think it's the new living arrangements. Having a new person and new animal move in can be quite an adjustment. Or, moving to a new place, with more people and animals, can also be quite an adjustment. It could be either, or maybe both cats, spraying.

I'd suggest taking the cat(s) to the vet to make sure there is no medical issue; perhaps the vet would also have some advice. I'll try to do some more research about spraying.
dTas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Purr...

i'm scheduling vet visits for both of them. its about time for their shots again anyway.

Purr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how the trip to the vet went. I'm still checking on what to do about spraying.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It definitely sounds like a territorial issue to me. This can be difficult to remedy. I would be interested in knowing what the vet recommends.
dTas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well the cats go in today for thier check up. what an ordeal this is going to be.

i'm thinking this is definitely territorial. is there a trend as to who is more territorial? males or females?

i've kicked both cats out of my bedroom and started closing doors when i'm out of the house. last night i caught my female urinating on a pile of clothes (AARRGG!)

i'm afraid that i'm at the end of my rope. she may have to relocate. Sad

Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think male cats are more territorial, and more known for spraying.

Good luck during your trip to the vet! If there any way to keep the kitties separated during the day, like putting them each in their own room?
dTas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so here's the scoop.

my male checks out fine. no problems. he's overweight, but other than that he's just fine.

my female has a slight urinary infection. she's being treated with antibiotics.

looks to be more of a territorial battle. i haven't seen my male pee on anything in over a year but my female was just caught last weekend peeing on a pile of clothes.

the Dr said to try putting litter boxes in the house (one for each of them). that may give them the sense of territory without having to pee on anything. i hope shes right.

so now comes the litterbox phase.

Purr

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good suggestion with the litterboxes. One rule of thumb I've heard is one litterbox per cat, plus one for good measure. That way one is always free. And use a brand of litter the cats like.

Another suggestion might be to ensure the litterboxes are in an area with some privacy. When I had two cats, one had a habit of lying in wait and ambushing the other one when she came out of the litterbox. I think that might have contributed why the timid cat had a habit of peeing outside the litter box, like down the side or onto the wall, while technically she was in it. She just wasn't comfortable.

I hope your female cat feels better soon! Keep us posted!
dTas

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well now with one cat gone the scenting problem seems to have gone away with it. the funny thing is... we got rid of the cat that wasn't doing the scenting.

it most definitely was a territorial thing.

we're now putting in hardwood floors and in the process of removing the old carpet i discovered really how bad the scenting problem was. there were stain marks EVERYWHERE in the living/dining room area.

i'm so glad we're changing to hardwood. Smile

darskayairene

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks God, my cat doesn't mark the territory and we don't have any scent in the apartment at all. He always does all his bathroom needs in his litter and we regularly clean it. It is awful - coming to somebody's place and feeling the disgusting scent of cat's urine. Sad
squirrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad My male cat is peeing again... in the house I mean... on my dirty laundry! Sad I hate that!
darskayairene

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squirrel wrote:
Sad My male cat is peeing again... in the house I mean... on my dirty laundry! Sad I hate that!

I heard about special sprays which can be used to disaccustom the cat to pee in a wrong place. You should spray it at this wrong place and cat will not be doing it there. Also, there are sprays which on the contrary attract cats to pee at a proper place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: