Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Cloned Cats

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Cloned Cats Reply with quote

The first cloned-to-order pet, a cat, was sold in the United States earlier this December. A Texas woman bought the cat for $50,000, as a replacement for Nicky, her Maine Coon cat of 17 years. The new kitten is named Litty Nicky. The cat was cloned by Genetic Savings and Clone, out of Sausalito, California. The company has been responsible for cloning 5 cats since 2001, including the first cloned cat. The company is working on delivering as many as 5 more cats to customers who have paid the $50,000 fee; by the end of next year, it hopes to have cloned as many as 50 cats. The company also hopes to produce the first cloned dog by next May.

I'm amazed that the technology exists to clone a lost pet. But, at the same time, there are a lot of homeless pets, and $50,000 would go a long way towards helping them.
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's pictures of Nicky, the donor cat, and Little Nicky, the cloned cat. They do look alike.

Last edited by Purr on Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's another picture of Little Nicky. He's really a cute kitten! Very Happy

Purr

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's a picture of Nicky with Julie, the proud owner.

Jonathan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cute kitten but, as yoy say, there are so many natural pets out there (not to mention hosts of other socail problems) that this seems like a poor use of $50,000 indeed...

[Note: I'm not saying that those with the money for this don't have a right to do so, I just question the implicit prioritizations Confused ]
Peor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How cute the kitten may be, I too find it a waste of money. Also, I wouldn't want to clone a loved one. That is a bit eerie, to have a copy of someone, just because you can get yourself to let go. Besides that, I think it does injustice to the cloned animal/human, because the people expect the animal/human to be exactly the same as the original. The cloned animal should be valued as individual, not as a desperate attempt to recreate what is lost. People forget that being cloned only means that the physical appearance is the same, but the personality will not be exactly the same, because it is not a identical situation and background from the original.

Also, as you all already mentioned, of many, many animal shelters with sweet (and not so lovable Wink) pets are needy for a home. I also wonder how good the cloning procedure really is (if the cloned animal won't have any complications linked to the cloning later on in life, premature aging, etc. Just think of Dolly the sheep).

Of course, as Jonathan wrote, it's her money and her life and she can do with it whatever she likes and wants. But that doesn't mean I necessary agree Smile
darskayairene

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm against any cloning! Especially of humans! It is very dangerous! We even don't imagine what it can bring us in future - just imagine an army consisting of millions of cloned cruel humans and s.o...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: