Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Favorite Pet Literature

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Favorite Pet Literature Reply with quote

Three of my favorite cat books are about the adventures of Norton, a Scottish Fold, and his owner, Peter Gethers.

Arrow The Cat Who Went to Paris, published in 1991
The traveling adventures of Norton, a Scottish Fold, who
goes, literally, everywhere his human companion does,
including, you guessed it, Paris.

Arrow A Cat Abroad, published in 1993
The further adventures of Norton, the international-
traveling Scottish Fold, and his human companions.

Arrow The Cat Who'll Live Forever, published in 2001
The final adventures of that lovable, and well-traveled
Scottish Fold, Norton.

Here's a picture of Norton and Peter.

And here's a very cute picture of Norton himself.

Please share your favorite books.

Last edited by Purr on Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scottish Folds look so teddybear like *sighs* But I still feel like cats should have natural ears...

I read little animal literature. But I'll list what I can come up with Smile

Brian Jaques with his many books. Personal I only read:

Redwall
Mossflower
Mattimeo
Mariel of Redwall
Salamandastron
Martin the Warrior
The Bellmaker

I may be a little off with the last two books, because I didn't finished all his books completely. They are children books, set in a medieval like world where only animals live (humans don't even exist in it, as far as I know). You can compare the characters somewhat like Beatrix Potter animals, with clothes on and such. Adventurous books, only a bit repetitive after a while. But enjoyable.

The Wild Road - Gabriel King
Really a pseudonum for a male and female author. I liked the book, back than. I think that now, I would find it a bit too slow. It's about cats and some prohecy about the birth of the Golden Cat and secret passages that a certain cat (or all? Or all animals? Can't remember it well) can travel through, to different places in the world. Realistic setting, apart from the bit mysterious elements. There are two more books,, but I only read this book, I believe.

I remember a cat book which was better and was more enjoyable (more fantastical elements, but still keeping in realistic, like a cat king and queen, the threat of dog-cat hybrid breed and even a bit of light romance).

The Jungle book - Rudyard Kipling
Love it. Everyone knows the story. I also remember a nice story about a clever mongoose who had a feud going on with the resident garden cobra's as short story included. But that was in a special edition of Jungle Book that I once got from the library.

Bambi - Felix Salten
The story I prefer above the movie. I don't think I would've liked the author, but the story is wonderful. It has different levels, like what happens to a deer who get's released after being taken care of by humans. And the secret of the big old silver stag (don't know the real name). The movie is quite different from the book. The whole ending of the movie doesn't correspond with the book.

Barec, Son of Kazan - James Oliver Curwood
I only mention the author because he wrote more wildlife/hunter books that involved animals and had better novels than this one (like The Grizzly King). The story was to me somewhat mediocre, because it was predictable and little plot or much development of the star of the story, the half wolf Barec (not like White Fang, this one is black). I also disliked the idea of a character who looks like Miss Universe and to who she get's coupled is obvious, if from the 3 prominent males one the guy is she doesn't want and flee's from, the other is her father and the third is a single guy who is the closes to her age.. Rolling Eyes Wink

The books I absolutely loved, but is not particular aimed at animals, or has animals as the main subject as the above mentioned books, are the trilogies of Robin Hobb. It fantasy genre, but subtle fantasy. No Lord of the Rings with orces, elves, or such running around. No big magical stuff with fancy sparks. Subtle, more down to earth fantasy, with a dark undertone (some people may find it even depressing, like one of the endings, although the end is neither bad or good, in my opinion).

In two trilogies, the main character has the ability to have a telepathic connection with animals. That he can feel what they feel, smell what they smell, see what they see, talk to them and dream with them. But it's taboo, because people are afraid of it (think along the lines of witch hunts). Again, very subtle magic. The protagonist doesn't even do it on purpose, but more like instinct of reaching out. As I wrote, it's not the main subject of the books, but well written. The animals he talks to sound real and like they should as animals (like that a wolf considers the guy who raised him his "pack" and prefers to hunt with him as such, offer to chew fresh meat for his pack "brother", etc.). Also the concept of being able to bond to such a level to a animal that it becomes natural, a part of you and that both start to think and act a bit alike. I think that is about every animal lovers dream, to be able to have a animal as a sort of "soul mate" Smile

However, if you're not in medieval like stuff and fantasy elements, you may be better of avoiding Brain Jaques, Gabriel King and Robin Hobb Smile
Purr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few other cat books I like, by Hans Walter Silvester. The photography in these books is amazing!

Arrow Cats In the Sun, published in May 1995

Arrow Mediterranean Cats, published in March 1996

Arrow Asleep In the Sun, published in October 1997

Arrow Kittens In the Sun, published in July 1999

Arrow Cats In Love, published in December 2003

Purr

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's two cat books that are fun. Very Happy

Why Cats Paint (Heather Busch and Burton Silver)

Dancing With Cats (Burton Silver and Heather Busch)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> General Pet Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: