Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Teeth Cleaning
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
darskayairene

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shelley wrote:
Well it was arough day but we got through it. I had to take captain to the vet on an empty stomach so no food since last night at 11pm. So of course this morning he was hungry. That was hard because this also meant taking up food from the other Kitties so that he couldnt get to it. They were all surrounding me this morning like a pack (small pack) of lions Confused
They had to remove 6 (ouch) teeth. I'm glad I did this because I know his teeth have been bothering him for some time now and it will help him to be healthier over the coming months.

Now the real rough part. We found out that he is in the early stages of Renal Disease. I couldn't believe this because his blood work was great around 9 months ago. I'm in a state of shock about this and I'm hoping it doesn't progress quickly and that he will stay healthy for years to come. They said I may have to start giving him fluids intravenously months down the road. Crying or Very sad

Other than this he is acting like his normal self. He came home and begged for chicken and after a nap he is now giving himself a bath. Smile

Oh, dear, I'm very sorry about your cat. I hope he will be ok. How do they explain the cause of Renal Disease? May be his food was wrong?
Also, how will he be able to eat without 6 teeth? Shocked
Shelley

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most cats don't really chew their food much. They almost swallow it whole. So now that he is missing some teeth this will especially be the case. So far he is eating soft free range chicken, and drinking chicken broth, goats milk yogurt and a little of his new food.

As for the renal disease they say it is very common in older cats. Having toxic teeth didn't help either so its good that i went ahead and had them cleaned up. Diet is a huge factor. The quality of ingredients out there is just not that high. Even in prescription diets like eukanuba and hill's science diet, the quality is just crap and pets don't like them. Also the phosphorus level is a factor, it should be no more than 0.88%. The most important thing is to keep them hydrated and eating.

Here are the new foods I'm starting to shop for:Natural Life, Innova Lite, Wysong Gourmet, Wellness, PetGuard Venison/Rice-Rabbit/Rice and some Natures Variety. The Natures Variety is a little high but it is such a good product that they get some for 2-3 meals a week. Most of their other meals are Wellness.

So far the wysong is going over great. I'm hoping this will slow the progression of the diease Crying or Very sad
Purr

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Captain is feeling better. Keep us posted on how he is doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: