Pets Forum Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in   Archive

Litterbox Tips

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2004 11:41 am    Post subject: Litterbox Tips Reply with quote

Arrow The general rule of thumb for the number of litterboxes is one per cat, plus one additional. For example, 2 cats equals 3 litterboxes. A cat will have a choice if one litterbox is occupied.

Arrow Use a brand of litter your cat likes. Don't keep changing brands of litter, as your cat may refuse to use it.

Arrow Keep the litterbox clean, and in a well-ventilated area. Scoop when necessary. Wash out the litterbox as needed. No one, including your cat, likes a dirty, smelly litterbox.

Arrow Locate the litterbox in a space convenient for the cat to use. This is particularily important if your cat is elderly or sick. Your cat should not have to make a run for it, or travel a great distance to get to the litterbox.

Arrow Food should not be located near the litterbox. Cats do not like to eat and use the litter box in the same space.
Larinda McRaven

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The food and the litterbox rule is also helpful when trying to break you cat from going the bathroom in unwanted places.

Putting small saucers of food or water right where they have previously and incorrectly pottied can help deter them from doing it again.
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have 3 cats and fortunately they all use the liter box well. The worst problem we have is between out one-eyed male and our grey female. He likes to chase her and she hates him and always hisses at him. She never covers up her poop because I think she tries to hurry before he sneaks up on her. A couple of times she has run out in mid-poop. I think more he is fascinated with her, but he is almost like a stalker sometimes. We can't seem to figure out how to break him of this.
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a problem with Purr, my 8 year old female tabby. She gets into the litter box to pee, but she doesn't squat down enough (or not at all), and so the urine goes outside the box. I've no idea why she doesn't squat down. Either she feels threatened by being stalked by Blaze too many times, or she's so comfortable she doesn't feel the need to squat down.

The litter box is in my bathroom on a tile floor, and I've got 2 or 3 layers of washable rugs around the litter pan, so cleanup is relatively easy. I've just got to keep it up, otherwise there's a bad smell. It's just a pain, when I have to change rugs and mop a couple of times a week.

Last edited by Purr on Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
David
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you considered getting a litter box with a cover?
We had the same problem and this solved it.
Purr

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have one and I'm considering getting it of the garage. Here's the problem. Purr is a huge cat, about 17 pounds. Even the large covered litter pan is a little on the small size. And, the clean up is just as bad, because she pees all over the back of it, and then kicks the litter up, which stucks to the wall. Also, because it's a closed container there's still the odor problem. It's just a yucky problem.

The litter pan I have out now is a storage box that's bigger than the large, or even extra large, litter pans.

I found on the home computer .jpg images of Purr and Blaze, so hopefully I'll find a way to post them soon. Very Happy
Purr

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
Have you considered getting a litter box with a cover?
We had the same problem and this solved it.

Well, I thought I had one in the garage, but I couldn't find it. So, I went to Petsmart this weekend and bought a new one. I have to say, I was very impressed with how well thought out this litterbox was. There's a cat flap, to keep kitty from kicking all the litter out. Also, there's air holes on the top of the cover, to improve the ventilation. And, there's a little stepping feature, to help kitty wipe her feet before exiting the litter box.

I paired the new litter box with a little cat mat, to help Purr further wipe her feet. I'm still keeping the rugs around the litterbox. Purr seems to like the new litterbox, and the new arrangement has significantly cut down on the tracking and mess.
darskayairene

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cat's litter box is situated near the w.c. pan. He got used to it from his early chidhood and never did his needs somewhere in the apartment. Only, sometimes, if we are not in time to clean his litter box, he can do his needs on the rug. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pets Forum Forum Index -> Cats All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: